It seems like every time I turn around there is another holiday that in some way includes getting chocolates. Don’t get me wrong, I love chocolates but there are other candies out there that deserve recognition and tomorrow it is time to celebrate the often overlooked deliciousness that is LICORICE!!!
I am a lover of all flavors of licorice, yep even black licorice! YUMMMMMM! Red Vines even has a tasty grape licorice available. Thanks to Red Vines, I was able to sample their Original, Black, and Purple Grape flavors of Licorice to get myself in the mood to celebrate the big day tomorrow. I also go to sample one of the newest products from the American Licorice Company, Natural Vines.
Get ready for the big day with a few Licorice Fun Facts:
1) More than 30,000 tons of Red Vines® (60 million pounds) are made each year—or more than 400,000 miles of licorice—enough to wrap around the Earth more than 16 times!
2) In 2011, U.S. licorice sales topped $359 million, a 6.56 percent increase from the year before. It is part of the non-chocolate candy market, which had total sales of $6.87 billion.
3) Black licorice is 50 times sweeter than sugar, and derives its botanical name from the Greek words meaning “sweet root.”
4) Red Vines are made with wheat (that is sweetened, flavored, and baked) so basically licorice is unleavened bread.
5) If one is looking to maintain health, and heal injuries, there is no single herb better than Licorice Root. Licorice can also quiet the appetite and reduce the desire to smoke tobacco and consume alcohol. It will increase blood flow and help a person stay alert.
Did you know that Red Vines candy is the number one non-chocolate confection in the West. It is also fat-free and contains no preservatives and very low sodium. Red Vines are both kosher and vegan, making them a great snack for all to enjoy.
Natural Vines are a gourmet soft licorice made from all natural ingredients,made in a nut-free facility and come in black licorice and strawberry flavor. I tried the strawberry, they were so good that I took the package to work so that I did not have to share with my husband!
HAPPY NATIONAL LICORICE DAY!!!!
**Disclaimer: I received a free product in exchange for this post. I was not compensated in any other manner. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Other people may have different experiences with the products.**